Have you ever seen a commercial so poorly made that you couldn’t figure out what product or service it was advertising? The video below is similar. In it, a young woman enters a restaurant and asks for the attention of the diners. As she shares her unsolicited tale, she is visibly shaken and fights back the tears.
“I have a little girl,” she begins.
She was very abused for her entire life. She was terrified. She has a very determined look in her eyes wherever she goes.
If you’re a customer, you probably figure this is a lead-up to a pitch for money. But as the spiel goes on, which it ultimately does for two and a half minutes, it gets more and more bizarre:
She was hurt and abused her entire life because of this establishment and establishments like it. She was locked away, she was hidden, she had nobody there for her. She was crying, she was scared every single moment, and because her usefulness had run out, she was going to be killed.
OK, now this has become weird. Her “usefulness had run out?” Was the child abducted by a cult? Was someone threatening to kill her? If so, why hasn’t this woman gone to the authorities?
Time to cut to the chase. The woman’s name is Kelly Atlas. She is based in Oakland, California, where she is an organizer and designer for a group called Direct Action Everywhere, which can be best described as PETA on steroids. According to Opposing Views, members conduct flash mob-type protests at restaurants carrying signs that read, “It’s not food, it’s violence.”
Atlas’s “little girl,” by the way, is a chicken named Snow.
With the hashtag “disrupt speciesism,” Atlas tweeted about the protest, which took place Sept. 27:
— Kelly Atlas (@kellyemilyatlas) October 1, 2014
- PETA activist roughed up after trying to persuade Muslims to go vegan for Eid
- More dead birds, another roadside attraction courtesy of PETA
- PETA getting a ‘ton of calls’ about BLM cattle slaughter at #BundyRanch
- PETA hopes to turn Jeffrey Dahmer’s childhood home into vegan restaurant
- PETA requests 10-foot-high roadside memorial for chickens killed in accident
- College invites PETA activist who called for ‘vicious’ rape of women who eat meat
- Which food does PETA think harms baby genitals?