Did you hear the one about the black mob that nearly beat a white driver to death after his vehicle accidentally knocked down a 10-year-old playing “chicken” in traffic? Relatives of four men on trial for assault with intent to commit murder apparently saw the humor in the prosecutor’s description of their bludgeoning of motorist Steven Utash because the group dissolved into laughter in the courtroom.
The Detroit News reports that four men were bound over for trial. They are Latrez Cummings, 19, James Davis, 24, and Wonzey Saffold, 30. A fourth defendant, 17-year-old Bruce Wimbush, waived his right to a preliminary exam and will face a trial. A weapons charge against Saffold was added after witnesses said he brandished a gun during the incident.
Utash, who was savagely attacked and beaten on Apr. 2 after exiting his vehicle to check on the condition of the child, was placed in a medically induced coma. He appeared to be making progress, but last week he took a turn for the worse.
Max Mohr, his brother-in-law, was aghast at the behavior exhibited in the courtroom. “Why would you laugh about someone being in the hospital?” he asked. “To make a mockery in the courtroom … what can you do?”
During Monday’s hearing, court deputies admonished onlookers for talking and joking. One man was removed from the courtroom.
All four defendants are being detained in jail in lieu of $500,000 bond.
- Detroit driver clings to life, beaten by mob after accidentally running down 10-year-old
- Louisville family attacked by huge roaming mob of teens
- Coed struck in face with brick by marauding teens, MSM omit race
- Latest ‘knockout’ perp targeted a disabled man as his victim
- NYC man with broken jaw latest victim of ‘knockout game’
- Bus driver whose life saved by Bible latest victim of knockout game
- Black History Month starts with a bang (meaning a rash of knockout attacks)
- Latest knockout attacks expose unwillingness of ‘Boston’s News Leader’ to report the facts