Barack “I am the Law” Obama is well known for blaming everything on everyone and everything around him. It now appears that he’s pushed the envelope even further, blaming “debate” for last year’s partial government shutdown. He also declared that “debate” keeps government from properly functioning — and he told this to a body whose job it is to represent the people and debate issues.
Worse yet, the so-called “mainstream media” is utterly silent about the comment.
“For several years now, this town has been consumed by a rancorous argument over the proper size of the federal government,” the president said.
Obama acknowledged the debate over the size and scope of government is important, and dates back to the founding of the country. But what he said afterward should have caused at least a few raised eyebrows.
“But when that debate prevents us from carrying out even the most basic functions of our democracy – when our differences shut down government or threaten the full faith and credit of the United States – then we are not doing right by the American people,” he added.
In other words, “debate” is responsible for last year’s partial government shutdown that took place when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., refused to consider a single GOP proposal to fund the government while not funding Obamacare.
One would think that a robust debate is exactly what is needed in Congress on issues as important as health care and the economy. But it seems that for the president, debate is something to be avoided.
Obama went on to call for a “year of action,” announcing that he would sidestep Congress “wherever and whenever” he can.
The tone of the entire speech prompted Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Texas, to walk out of the speech.
“I could not bear to watch as he continued to cross the clearly-defined boundaries of the Constitutional separation of powers,” he said in a press release. “Needless to say, I am deeply disappointed in the tone and content of tonight’s address.”
Stockman, who once called on Congress to assign special prosecutors to investigate the administration, said Obama promised to “break his oath of office and begin enacting his own brand of law through executive decree.”
“This is a wholesale violation of his oath of office and a disqualifying offense,” he added.
- Obama vows to bypass Congress at State of the Union, Congress applauds
- Op-ed says Obama to out himself as a ‘Marxist and an enemy of the Constitution’
- John Podesta: Obama ‘warming up’ to idea of ruling like dictator
- Valerie Jarrett: Americans ‘hungry’ for Obama to act like an imperial president
- Obama promises more dictatorial action in 2014: ‘I’ve got a pen and a phone’
- Retired Army officer calls for ‘American Spring’ to oust Obama, other leaders
- Liberal Democrats to Obama: Rule like dictator on minimum wage, deportations
- Mark Levin warns: Obama preparing country for coup against Constitution
- Liberal think tank says President can use military to push progressive agenda