Nelson Mandela will be remembered for many things, some good, some bad. Numbered among the good are his roles in “The Shawshank Redemption” and “Nurse Betty.” Wait … this just in: That wasn’t Mandela in those films. It was actor Morgan Freeman.
The late African president and his stateside doppelganger have been confused before for real. It happened as recently as yesterday in New Delhi, India.
There the owner of a billboard dedicated to Mandela discovered that the photo used in it was not that of the anti-apartheid hero but of the American actor who played him in Clint Eastwood’s drama “Invictus.”
From the Times of India:
The billboard was erected on the side of a road in Coimbatore as part of memorials across India and the world to Mandela, who died on December 5.
But Freeman’s face loomed large in the billboard over small images of [civil] rights icons Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa and Mahatma Gandhi.
‘We should be proud that we were part of an era when they lived,’ read the condolence message on the board in Tamil.
Cloth merchant Chandrashekhar, who paid for the board in a private capacity as a mark of respect to the former South African leader, said it was a mistake by the designer.
‘We will replace it with the correct picture of Mandela,’ the merchant, who uses one name, told AFP by telephone from Chennai, adding that he did not know how the gaffe occurred.
A Breitbart post on the error includes a video of a reaction from commentators at CBS Dallas-Ft. Worth, reproduced below.
- Sign language interpreter at Mandela ceremony exposed as a ‘fake’
- Obama speaks to half empty stadium at Mandela tribute
- SC sheriff who refused to lower flag to honor Mandela is racist because … look, a squirrel!
- Nelson Mandela becomes the fourth person in the Holy Quadrinity
- Ignored by media: Mandela’s fiercely undemocratic abortion law
- Narcissism: White House marks death of Nelson Mandela with picture of Obama
- Left exploiting Mandela’s death to attack conservatives, excuse communism
- Obama compares Nelson Mandela to George Washington
- How the West was lost by the selfie president
- New NYC billboard says ‘nobody’ needs ‘Christ during Christmas’
- Billboard adorned with photo of porn star seeks college girls with ‘strong oral skills’
- Tea kettle billboard that reminded people of Hitler removed
- Native Americans offended by billboards, Catholics by naked female pope
- Whoops! Billboard celebrating ‘remarkable women’ has photos of men only
- University displays billboard-sized naked vaginas in pro-abortion exhibit