If Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Texas, has his way, Congress will assign special prosecutors to investigate the Obama administration, WND reported Thursday.
“From Benghazi to Fast and Furious to crony deals for ‘green’ energy to Obamacare the lawless Obama administration must be reined in. I am calling on Congress to establishment Select Committees on these scandals with full subpoena power,” he said in a statement.
“We’ve seen how the Obama administration smears and defames their critics. Congress should investigate these scandals and turn the matters over to special prosecutors,” he added.
Stockman distributed copies of the book “Impeachable Offenses: The Case for Removing Barack Obama from Office” to his House colleagues, WND said.
“The book,” WND said, “argues that Obama already has committed many violations of the Constitution that could qualify him for impeachment, including his health care legislation, which the authors describe as taxation without representation.”
“I hope this book helps convince my colleagues to hold Barack Obama legally responsible for his disregard for the law,” Stockman said. “When told of his offense, Obama sought to cover them up rather than accept responsibility and correct the mistakes.”
Stockman sponsored H.Res. 306, a measure that would force a vote on establishing a Select Committee with full subpoena power to investigate the Sept. 11, 2012, Benghazi terrorist attack.
Although he has said that impeachment “should only be a rare and last resort,” he has considered it before.
In January, for example, he considered pursuing impeachment if the president implemented gun-control measures without congressional approval, calling Obama’s executive actions “an existential threat to this nation.”
Gun control isn’t the only issue Obama has handled in a questionable matter, Stockman said.
He also cited the Obama’s unilateral decisions to change the health care law, the use of the IRS to target tea party organizations and others critical of the administration. Obama’s use of the military overseas was also a concern.
“Enforcing the Constitution and preserving limitations on executive authority aren’t just mainstream, they’re the law,” Stockman said.
The book was written by New York Times best-selling authors Aaron Klein, a senior WND writer, and Brenda J. Elliott.
Some of the offenses listed in the book include:
- Obamacare not only is unconstitutional but illegally bypasses Congress, infringes on states’ rights and marking an unprecedented and unauthorized expansion of IRS power.
- Sidestepping Congress, Obama already has granted largely unreported de facto amnesty to millions of illegal aliens using illicit interagency directives and executive orders.
- The Obama administration recklessly endangered the public by releasing from prison criminal illegal aliens at a rate far beyond what is publicly known.
- The president’s personal role in the Sept. 11, 2012, Benghazi attack, with new evidence regarding what was transpiring at the U.S. mission prior to the assault – arguably impeachable activities in and of themselves.
- Illicit edicts on gun control in addition to the deadly “Fast and Furious” gun-running operation intended, the book shows, to collect fraudulent gun data.
- From “fusion centers” to data mining to drones to alarming Department of Homeland Security power grabs, how U.S. citizens are fast arriving at the stage of living under a virtual surveillance regime.
- New evidence of rank corruption, cronyism and impeachable offenses related to Obama’s first-term “green” funding adventures.
- The illegality of leading a U.S.-NATO military campaign without congressional approval.
- Obama has weakened America both domestically and abroad by emboldening enemies, tacitly supporting a Muslim Brotherhood revolution, spurning allies and minimizing the threat of Islamic fundamentalism.
A number of House Republicans have spoken about impeaching Obama, but it is highly unlikely the president would be convicted in a Senate run by Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat. Worse yet, it is possible some Republicans, like John McCain and Lindsey Graham, would side with the president.
- GOP Rep. Bentivolio: Obama impeachment bill would be ‘a dream come true’
- Overpass protest calls for Obama’s impeachment
- Allen West: Muslim Brotherhood has infiltrated Obama administration
- President Obama Linked to Muslim Brotherhood
- ‘Let’s Roll 2013’ to stage nationwide protests on Constitution Day
- Op-ed says Obama should be impeached over Benghazi, abuses of power
- Allen West agrees: Impeachment of Obama should be an option
- Site says Obama stole election through voter fraud
- Ralph Nader: Obama should be impeached for war crimes
- Dennis Kucinich calls for impeachment of Obama over Libya
- Liberal think tank says President can use military to push progressive agenda
- Resolution: Obama bypassing Congress on use of military impeachable offense
- Florida GOP representative: Obama impeachment should be ‘on the table’