Some bad news for the women at Marquette University in Wisconsin who were looking forward to getting in touch in with their sexuality via an explicit on-campus workshop this semester. It ain’t gonna happen.
Campus Reform reports that national media attention on a “FemSex” workshop that was planned for the next 12 weeks has prompted administrators at the Catholic university to withdraw their support.
The on-campus workshop was to be a veritable smorgasbord of erotic themes including orgasms, masturbation, sex, kink, and sexual identities, according to its syllabus.
Brian Dorrington, a spokesman for Marquette, broke the bad news in an email to Campus Reform:
Following a discussion with the program about academic sponsorship, including the requirement of faculty presence, the program chose not to continue sponsoring the Female Sexuality workshop….
We understand that our students engage in discussions on gender and sexuality, but when they happen as part of a university-sponsored event, we must address these topics in the context of our Catholic faith.
It’s hard to know exactly what led the administration to fold up its tent, but it may have been the content of Week 7: Sexuality and Spirituality. From the syllabus:
In what ways does sexuality connect, intersect, and/or clash with faith, religion, and spirituality? What are our own experiences around sexuality and spirituality? We will explore the ways spirituality, faith, and/or religion are oppressive, liberating, and/or neutral forces in our experiences of sexuality, gender, and identity. We will also explore potential possibilities of incorporating spirituality, connection, intimacy, and vulnerability into the sexual, embodied, and relational spheres of our lives.
Then again, it might have been the “take home exercises,” which included “c**t coloring.” (The redacted word is a synonym for vagina.)
- University to sponsor workshop on better orgasms for co-eds
- University holds workshop on sculpting genitals from Play-doh
- College hosts sex and masturbation tutorial in a church
- Duke University increases student fees to provide sex-change surgery to students
- University of Minnesota sponsors ‘unfair to be white’ campaign (Photos)
- DOJ upholds transgendered man’s lawsuit over right to use female restrooms
- College orders construction crew to remove sexist ‘men working’ sign
- Gay college club’s condom-decorated ‘Christmas’ tree