It is beginning to appear that Eric Holder was right. We are a nation of cowards when it comes to race. So taboo has the subject of skin color become that journalists writing about crime have taken to omitting the ethnicity of miscreants.
As an illustration, take this report by Fox 59 in Indianapolis (h/t Jim Treacher), which has been reprinted below in its entirety:
An Indianapolis woman was able to fend off a group of guys who pulled a gun on her while trying to steal her car.
Kari Bird just started law school and continues to work full time. Bird got home at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday and when she got out of her car, a group of three or four young guys approached her.
‘I really didn’t think too much about it, one of (them) was smiling,’ Bird said.
He was smiling, but he quickly pulled out a gun.
‘He told me to … give him my keys,’ Bird said.
She did turn over her keys, but realizing all her law books and belongings were in the car, Bird made a quick decision. With the gun still pointed at her, she reached into her center console to pull out her own gun.
‘(He said), ‘Oh s***’ and then ran,’ Bird told Fox 59.
Bird said the boys looked like teenagers and as a mom, she can’t get that out of her head.
‘If these were my kids and they were out at 11:30 at night, terrorizing women, I would scare the life out of them,’ Bird said.
She doesn’t want to be an example for whether or not you should carry a gun, but said that she does want everyone—especially women—to keep their own safety in mind.
‘You have to be aware of what can happen,’ Bird said.
She’s thankful it did turn out alright, but wants those boys to know that this is no way to treat anyone.
‘They need to stop this. They’re not going down a good road,’ Bird said.
The group is described as three or four teenagers, possibly 14-17 years old. The one who pulled the gun is described as husky, wearing a black hoody over a light shirt. If you know anything about this case, call Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS.
Let’s summarize. From this article, we know the approximate age of the carjackers. We know the body type of one of them (the gunman) and his manner of dress at the time of the hold-up. What we don’t know — and are left to surmise — is the race of the suspects. The four are still at large and wanted by the police, which makes the omission of this all-important detail a journalistic breach as well as a pragmatic one.
As for AG Holder, he was recently interviewed by the black website The Root and asked whether he still thinks we are a nation of cowards. He responded:
I think we are a nation that is hesitant to discuss racial issues, and I think that is something I tried to say in that speech. I continue to believe that we are too hesitant to raise issues of race and to discuss them forthrightly.
For once, I’m inclined to agree with him.
- White teen savagely beaten on FL school bus by purple people eaters
- Jury orders black boss to pay $280K for repeatedly calling black employee n-word
- You want to have a conversation on race? Fine, let’s start with this video
- ‘Law and Order: SVU’ to feature episode where Paula Deen kills Trayvon Martin
- Purple people eaters set white teen on fire
- A liberal explains why Trayvon Martin’s killing is unlike Chris Lane’s
- Back to school … and ‘Trayvon Martin dialogs’
- Purple people eaters strike again: Gay man hospitalized after gang beatdown
- ‘We are all Trayvon Martin’ mural to be unveiled at FL capitol
- Martin attorney: ‘We never said this was about race’
- How will history textbooks treat the death of Trayvon Martin? Here’s a sneak preview
- School district spends $2.4M on sensitivity training that emphasizes evils of ‘white culture’