Yesterday, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie signed into law a bill that prohibits professional counselors from attempting to change a minor’s sexual orientation. In so doing, the governor greatly diminished the already slim chances that the Garden State would give rise a love story like the one chronicled in today’s Independent.
The relationship may be a tad hard to follow even with a scorecard.
The happy couple — Jamie Eagle, 20, and Louis Davies, 25 — have pled their troth to be joined in holy(?) matrimony. What makes the couple unique is that the groom-to-be used to have the sex of a bride-to-be, and the bride-to-be the sex of a groom-to-be. Both in the process of undergoing sex reassignment.
Initially, Eagle and Davies had some reservations about going public with their relationship, which — if my reasoning and understanding of alternative lifestyles is sound — is a transgender “heterosexual” arrangement. Soon after appearing on “This Morning” on Britain’s ITV and talking to tabloids including The Sun, they did in fact receive threats and nasty comments. Jamie has been on antidepressants.
It’s like gay people, black people and women. None of these groups would have the rights they do if they hadn’t fought to change negative stereotypes and perceptions. By going public, I feel like I’m doing my bit to help change history.
Jamie, who tried to castrate himself as a teenager, insists he was not born into the wrong body but, rather, with “just the wrong parts.” His parents — who, he says, wrongly assumed he was gay — are still having difficulty coping with his sexuality (such as it is).
Louis, who was born Samantha, similarly can’t recall “a time he didn’t feel like a boy” (being one, that is, not having one). He hated being called “pretty” or “beautiful” and joined a men’s rugby team. “I was considered a tomboy, which I was happy with because it had the word boy at the end,” he laughs.
The couple is under no illusion that they still have a tough row to hoe. “There’s a lot of confusion about us and what we’re about,” Jamie says. “But to put it simply, I’m a girl and Louis is a boy.”
- CA law lets transgender students use whichever school bathroom they like
- Man undergoes sex change, believes it was a mistake, switches back
- Kerry: Gay rights are ‘the very heart’ of U.S. diplomatic efforts world-wide
- Racism comes full circle for liberals
- University of Minnesota sponsors ‘unfair to be white’ campaign (Photos)
- Anti-Semitic teacher is out at fashion school but not because of student protest
- SC Dem: Let’s send ‘Nikki Haley back to wherever the hell she came from’
- Duke University increases student fees to provide sex-change surgery to students
- University displays billboard-sized naked vaginas in pro-abortion exhibit
- University to sponsor workshop on better orgasms for co-eds (Photos)
- DOJ upholds transgendered man’s lawsuit over right to use female restrooms
- College orders construction crew to remove sexist ‘men working’ sign
- NY school district apologizes for asking students to ‘argue Jews are evil’