It would have been a great comeback on the part of the black magazine “Ebony” if the Tea Party had really planned to boycott the publication’s idiotic “hoodie” campaign. On Wednesday afternoon, @EBONYMag tweeted:
We have so many Tea Party readers and followers. To lose all zero of them due to our September cover would be devastating.
The last laugh, however, was at the expense of the magazine, not to mention some dozen liberal “news” outlets. The Daily Caller describes the genesis of the joke that backfired:
The conservative outlet Twitchy criticized the magazine for explicitly using [Trayvon] Martin’s death to call for the repeal of Stand Your Ground self-defense laws. A single commenter on Breitbart.com reportedly called for a boycott of the magazine, according to disgraced U.S. News and World Report journalist Elizabeth Flock, which kicked off a liberal meme that conservatives were staging some kind of racist boycott of the magazine.
Meantime, below is one of the four alternative covers that will appear on the cover of the magazine when it hits newsstands next month.
It shows filmmaker Spike Lee and his son, Jackson. Lee, who made a movie titled “Do the Right Thing,” famously did the wrong thing in 2012, when he tweeted what he thought was the address of George Zimmerman to his quarter million Twitter followers. Even if the address had been right — and it was not — the action would have been despicable. As it turns out, however, the address was that of an elderly Florida couple who were forced to vacate their home after receiving numerous death threats. Lee sent the couple a check for an undisclosed amount as a good faith settlement, but the damage was done.
You have to wonder if Lee’s son has ever asked him about this minor “faux pas” and, if so, how daddy has answered.
As for “Ebony,” one could rightly ask why they dressed up celebrities in hoodies when they could have used surveillance footage of the black man who was actually wearing one of these garments when he stabbed a white Hispanic teen 11 times on a New York City street not far from Lee’s home.
- Spike Lee settles with elderly FL couple whose address he erroneously tweeted
- Spike Lee tweets George Zimmerman’s address; gets info wrong
- ‘We are all Trayvon Martin’ mural to be unveiled at FL capitol
- White teen savagely beaten on FL school bus by purple people eaters
- Blacks benefit disproportionately from FL’s ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
- Black man in hoodie stabs 17-year-old ‘white Hispanic’ girl 11 times
- Outrage: Family rushing sick child to hospital blocked by Zimmerman demonstrators
- What was that libs were predicting about non-violent protests following the Zimmerman verdict?
- MSM goes into gloat mode: See, we told you there would be peace and calm
- Another black teen, another fatal shooting, a different conversation
- Trayvon Martin and the politics of racial identity
- Trayvon’s ‘grieving’ mom seeks to trademark phrase ‘Justice for Trayvon’
- New Black Panther party places $10K bounty on George Zimmerman’s head
- The problem with vigilante justice is you can never get enough of it
- Shoot-em-up film by Harlem rapper features gun-toting teens, sex, drugs