The other shoe has dropped. According to Reuters, the parents of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black teen shot dead in Florida last year by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, said they are contemplating filing a civil lawsuit against Zimmerman.
The information was communicated by the Martin family attorney, Benjamin Crump, who said, “We are looking at all legal options right now.”
Sybrina Fulton, Trayvon’s mother, was also vocal. She appeared on “CBS This Morning” on Thursday, where she said she “stunned” and felt “disgust” at the jury verdict in the trial of her son’s killer, adding:
I couldn’t believe it. I just knew that they would see that this was a teenager just trying to get home. This was no burglar.
The teen’s father, Tracy Martin, also spoke for the first time since the trial, saying:
They didn’t know him as a human being, a fun-loving kid. I just wish they had an opportunity to really know who Trayvon was and to put that in context with what their decision was.
Neither parent was in the Seminole County courtroom on Saturday when the verdict was read.
According to the judge’s instructions to the jury, Zimmerman had “no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force” if he reasonably feared for his life or great bodily harm.
- Blacks benefit disproportionately from FL’s ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
- Outrage: Family rushing sick child to hospital blocked by Zimmerman demonstrators
- What was that libs were predicting about non-violent protests following the Zimmerman verdict?
- MSM goes into gloat mode: See, we told you there would be peace and calm
- Justice for George Zimmerman and the court of public opinion
- TIME columnist: ‘Preparing for riots after Zimmerman verdict is racial fear-mongering’
- Another ‘This is for Trayvon’ beating
- George Zimmerman, parents in hiding due to ‘death threats’
- Beating victim claims assailants yelled ‘this is for Trayvon’
- Pro-Trayvon Martin protester: You need to be ‘checking your white privilege’ daily
- Rallies against Zimmerman acquittal held across U.S.
- School that teaches ‘white guilt’ class will re-examine curriculum
- Trayvon Martin and the politics of racial identity
- HLN’s Nancy Grace utters profanity and racial slur live on-air