Paging President Obama: There is unrest among your constituents that requires action on your part. Some Americans are threatening to lynch a fellow American on trial for killing a teenager. The man who has been charged in the case is partly a person of color. The teen he killed was totally a person of color. Those facts are reflected in unseemly comments that have appeared in your much-beloved social media. Here are a few:
If #Zimmerman get off ima shoot the first #hispanic/white i see.
Trayvon Martin need justice! Gimme me tha pistol ill kill Zimmerman myself!
If Zimmerman win, I’m gonna go kill a white a kid by mistake.
Some of those responsible for sentiments like these have attempted to organize a “fatwa” against George Zimmerman. Many have decided in advance that justice for Trayvon Martin comes only in one flavor: a guilty verdict for his killer. Even your friend, hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons, believes this. He says as much in a muddled “call for justice” at the Huffington Post, in which he writes:
Whether George Zimmerman is found innocent or guilty by the jury, I am firm believer that all of us live by karmic law, and he will ultimately be punished for the death of Trayvon, no matter what. [Emphasis added]
In your first year in office, Mr. President, you blundered by declaring that the Cambridge, Mass., police had “acted stupidly” in their dealings with another friend of yours, Louis Henry Gates. Your comment came before you knew the facts of the case.
You now have a chance to use your bully pulpit more wisely. Summon up your vaunted oratorical skills and beseech members of the black community to remain calm regardless of the outcome of this trial. Explain to them and to the nation at large that there have already been racially motivated beatings of innocent white men by gangs of blacks shouting “Trayvon” as a battle cry. Underscore that one of the victims was 78 years old. Emphasize how disgraceful these crimes were — how wrong it would be to take the law into their own hands again.
Everyone knows how much value you attach to being liked. Here is a line that is guaranteed to win you new fans. Cap off your speech by noting that justice is not just blind but that it is colorblind.
- If Zimmerman walks, riots are expected
- Another white man beaten in the name of Trayvon Martin
- 78-year-old white man beaten by teens, told ‘This is for Trayvon’
- Cops rule out hate as motive in another alleged ‘justice for Trayvon’ beating
- Zimmerman released on bail; lynch mob issues death threats on Twitter
- Obama unable to resist politicizing Trayvon Martin for Latino audience
- How will history textbooks treat Trayvon Martin case? Here’s a preview
- Trayvon Martin and the politics of racial identity
- Trayvon’s ‘grieving’ mom seeks to trademark phrase ‘Justice for Trayvon’
- New Black Panther party places $10K bounty on George Zimmerman’s head
- The problem with vigilante justice is you can never get enough of it
- Election law: Eric Holder’s cowardice is showing
- Time to ethnically cleanse English? Not a Chinaman’s chance
- ESPN erred in its handling of the Jeremy Lin kerfuffle
- School claims 7-year-old is racist for asking classmate about skin color
- Purple people eaters set white teen on fire
- Black Philly teens who attacked whites not to be charged with hate crime
- MSM distorts news reporting in order to play race card