“What do you say to a naked lady?” That was the title question of a movie made years ago by Allen Funt, the man who popularized the hit TV series “Candid Camera.” An updated question was posed by a Facebook exchange on Monday between Media Matters vice president Angelo S. Carusone and a grateful male reader who expressed a desire to bestow sexual favors on him.
The Daily Caller has the story, which began in late 2010. It was then that Media Matters hired Carusone to organize a campaign to pressure advertisers of Glenn Beck’s Fox News Channel program to suspend their ads. Whether the campaign was the catalyst in Beck’s eventual ouster remains to be seen since frequent Beck target Van Jones organized a simultaneous boycott of the show’s sponsors through his black advocacy group Color of Change. In any case, by September 2010, a total of 296 advertisers had asked that their commercials not be shown on Fox News during Beck’s programming, and soon after ties between the show and network were severed.
That brings us current and to yesterday’s FB message cum love song to Carusone by Calvin Stowell, who wrote:
The reason I will forever want to blow you is because you got Beck kicked off of the air.
To which Carusone replied:
Oh, I’m sure I could give you plenty of other reasons. But nevertheless, much appreciated.
How very socially avant-garde! And how very intellectually impoverished! It’s possible that Calvin Stowell, whoever he is, never heard of the First Amendment, but one guesses that Carusone has. The last I checked, there was nothing in that most sacred of rights affirmations about censoring people whose views you find discomfiting.
- Schools restrict speech, violate First Amendment, in hysterical reaction to school shootings
- Philadelphia mayor shows contempt for free speech in attack on magazine
- School teaches freedoms sometimes need to be relinquished for greater good
- Public school teaches that conservatism ‘restricts personal freedoms’
- CT school teaches that Americans don’t have constitutional right to bear arms
- School kills reference to God in first grader’s poem
- NH school confiscates autistic 12-year-old boy’s American flag