On Wednesday, the FBI denied a flurry of reports from CNN and other media outlets that initially said a suspect had been arrested in the Boston Marathon bombings, The Blaze reported. Federal authorities said in a statement that media outlets should “exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.”
Initial reports said authorities had identified a “dark-skinned male” as a possible suspect from surveillance video taken at a store on Boylston Street located between the two blast sites.
CBS, however, reported that the possible suspect is a “white male, wearing white baseball cap on backwards, a gray hoodie and a black jacket.”
CBS News correspondent Bob Orr said the man was apparently seen talking on a phone at the second bomb site when the first bomb exploded.
CNN said they were told by a “source” that a suspect was in custody.
“A Boston law enforcement told CNN, ‘We got him,’ but won’t clarify whether that means a suspect has been identified or arrested,” the network said.
As news of a possible arrest began to circulate, a crowd began to form outside the federal courthouse in South Boston, CBS added.
WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson then reported that the courthouse was evacuated after a bomb threat was called in and the crowd was moved about 100 yards away.
On Tuesday, Salon’s David Sirota expressed hope that the bomber was a white American.
Three people, including an eight-year-old boy were killed in Monday’s blasts, and over 170 were injured.
- Salon contributor: ‘Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American’
- Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God for the Boston Marathon bombs’
- Forest Service representative blames Tea Party for Boston Marathon bombing
- Michael Moore hints conservatives may be behind Boston Marathon bombings
- Democrat-media complex blames Boston bombings on conservatives
- New York Times’ Nick Kristof politicizes Boston Marathon bombing, backtracks