Into each life some rain must fall. Replace “rain” with “anti-Semitism” and you have the gist of an outrageous question posed by CNN’s Erin Burnett to former first lady Laura Bush on Monday.
My Newsbusters colleague, Noel Sheppard, sets the stage:
In a segment about the George W. Bush Institute’s Women’s Initiative Fellowship Program and its involvement with a group of Egyptian women, Burnett asked Mrs. Bush if the United States needs to ‘accept’ anti-Semitism and anti-Americanism ‘when we want to make change.’
The question came up in the context of “human rights activist” Samira Ibraham (a pox on her!), who was all set to receive an International Women of Courage Award (to be presented by current first lady Michelle Obama) when it was revealed she had tweeted anti-Semitic and anti-American comments.
The thought of honoring a dyed-in-the-wool bigot should be revolting to any rational being, even if it is a means to a desirable end — in this case improved relations between the U.S. and the Middle East. Nevertheless, Burnett “went there.”
As a side note it should be pointed out that Burnett’s claim that Ibrahim has “done a lot of things, courageous things” needs to be viewed in the light of one of the most recent “things she has done,” which was initially to deny having sent the tweets — a position she later backed away from, deciding that the award was sour grapes.
To fully appreciate the odiousness of Burnett’s question, liberals are advised to substitute “anti-Semitic” with “anti-African American” or “anti-gay.”
- How did State Department fail to vet Samira Ibrahim?
- Black Muslim who sent anti-Semitic materials to pols killed by police (Video)
- Outrage: Obama administration wants to give Egypt $450 million in aid
- Detroit Tiger Delmon Young arrested after anti-Semitic tirade, brawl in midtown
- SNL’s send-up of Al Sharpton misses the funniest joke of all (Video)
- Bloomberg tells anti-Semitic Wall Street Occupiers to clear out (Video)
- Delta Airlines accused of enforcing Sharia law against Jewish passengers (Photos)
- Millions of locusts swarm Jewish homeland
- What sequester: Kerry releases $250M in aid to Egypt
- The Palestinians’ self-perpetuating nightmare
- ‘Piss Christ’ returns to New York along with ‘Piss Moses’ (Video)
- NY Post sends Ahmadinejad gift basket of Jewish delicacies (Video)
- WH denies that Middle East crisis casts doubt on its policies
- Obama State Department aide tells reporter to ‘f**k off’
- British schools drop Holocaust from history lessons so as not to offend Muslims
- Stench from Ahmadinejad’s food drives off hotel guests
- True Islamophobia and standing up to death threats from Islamic extremists
- U.N. official Richard Falk posts 9/11 Truther rant on his blog