A Bronx man accused of killing and dismembering his mother, then stuffing her body parts into garbage bags, played show and tell at his arraignment on Thursday. Bahsid McLean, 23, appeared in court dressed in garbage bags.
McLean, who was charged with murder, hindering prosecution. and criminal possession of a weapon, also had a souvenir cellphone photo of himself holding aloft his mother’s severed head. In spite of all this, he told the judge, “I didn’t do anything wrong,” the Associated Press reports.
According to a criminal complaint, McLean stabbed his mother, 45-year-old Tanya Byrd, and then cut up her body with help of an accomplice, William Harris, 26. Byrd, a home health aide, was last seen alive on Monday.
Police say they are in possession of surveillance footage of McLean and Harris at a hardware store at about 7:30 p.m. Monday where they bought a saw and trash bags. At about 9:30 p.m. they were caught on surveillance video lugging bags that appeared to be full.
View slideshow: Nonaccidental death and dismemberment policy
McLean’s attorney, Jerry Iannece, said his client was “off his medication” and claims that his odd choice of courtroom apparel was dictated by his having urinated all over himself.
McClean has a history of multiple arrests, including one for assaulting two police officers in Brooklyn in 2010. His father, James, told the Daily News that he did destructive things. “He set fires. Nobody could control him,” the father said.
He is being held without bail and is scheduled to undergo a psychiatric evaluation. Said Iannece, “Everybody’s innocent until proven guilty.”
- Dead woman’s dismembered body found in trash bags strewn about Bronx
- OH mom confesses to throwing daughter’s corpse out with trash
- Brazilian trio arrested for making turnovers out of two murder victims
- Amber alert for missing toddler and infant brother ends in tragic murder-suicide (Photos)
- Mom who killed infants admits to having left a third on a deserted road to die
- NYC 8-year-old’s dismembered remains found in trash and refrigerator (Updated)
- Wal-Mart seeks felony indictment against worker who stole a few cookies
- 9th Circuit Appeals Court upholds inmate lawsuit demanding Wiccan chaplain
- 9-year-old dies after being forced to run nonstop for 3 hours as punishment
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- Mom drives car into Hudson, kills self, 3 children (Video)
- Pot-smoking mother who murdered children claims devil told her to do it
- Woman mistakenly pursued by bloodthirsty mob plunges to her death
- Man who incinerated woman in elevator: ‘She owed me $2,000’
- Woman dies after being set on fire in apartment building elevator
- Homeless man described as “gentle” beaten to death by police (Video)
- Homeless good samaritan killed while saving a mugging victim