Suppose you’re a libtalker with your own call-in radio show. You have your own bully pulpit, but yours callers simply won’t listen to reason. Do you cut their mikes? Nope, you cut your own.
That’s what Tim Benz, co-host of the “Morning Show” on Pittsburgh alternative rock station 105.9 The X, did Friday morning.
TribLive reports that Benz became so frustrated with his listeners’ misguided opposition to his support for stricter gun laws that he walked away from his console, leaving dead air behind him.
Benz is quoted as saying:
There was a flare-up about gun control on the show, which included a good deal of flashback against the station. I wasn’t able to walk away from the fight … [so] I decided to step away from the Morning Show.
When you’re a morning show host in a town of blue-collar workers who love their guns and the Second Amendment, you’re going to [anger] a lot of people.
Hmm, you gotta wonder whether these people cling to religion, too.
The argument started over a recent giveaway on Facebook of hundreds of rounds of ammunition, high-capacity magazines, and an AR-15 military-style rifle by a Pittsburgh gun shop.
Benz concedes that he is opinionated about the issue of gun control, adding, “It’s a personal battle that I may have waged on the airwaves too often for the format. It’s a topic I feel passionately about,” he said. “And that passion has gotten in the way of doing the show in the manner in which it should be done.”
Benz insists he did not resign and plans to honor his contract however the station sees fit — on the air in a different capacity or off the air.
- Liberal radio host says U.S. should ‘outlaw billionaires’
- Video mocking celeb anti-gun PSA goes viral
- Modest proposal for ending gun violence: Make gun owners buy liability insurance
- 10-year-old arrested after bringing toy gun to school
- Bridge too far: 6-year-old expelled for bringing toy gun to school (Photos)
- Rahm Emanuel urges two major banks to stop lending to gun manufacturers
- Civility alert: Liberal radio host says tornado victims forsaken by ‘their God’
- Liberal radio host explains that ‘inequality’ caused Sandy Hook
- Idiocy alert: 7-year-old suspended for throwing imaginary hand grenade (Photos)
- 6-year-old Maryland student suspended for pointing finger like gun
- SF HS student suspended over private Newtown poem
- Liberals toy with idea of profiling white males as solution to Newtown
- Newtown 7th grader seeks to rid nation of violent video games
- Stallone latest Hollywood denizen to voice support for gun control (Photos)