New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo made headlines recently by cramming a gun law through the state legislature that is so restrictive that it limits the amount of ammunition members of law enforcement can carry on the job. Clearly, though, New Yorkers ain’t seen nothing yet. Cuomo’s next act – pushing through the 6-year-old Reproductive Health Care bill – if accomplished, will represent the biggest assault on the liberties of residents conceivably in the Empire State’s 236-year history.
The National Catholic Register (h/t Weasel Zippers) notes that the bill has become a facet of the governor’s own “10-point ‘women’s equality’ agenda, which includes a raise in the minimum wage, tougher anti-housing discrimination laws and measures against domestic violence and sex-trafficking.”
The most stunning part of the legislation, however, is its removal of criminal penalties for abortions after 24 weeks by adding a broad health exception. Currently, late-term abortions are allowable when carrying the fetus to term poses a danger to the mother’s life.
The article quotes Chris Slattery, director of the pro-life Expectant Mother Care (EMC) pregnancy centers in New York City, who says, the new law will make the city the late-term abortion capital of the world. In a sense, it’s already the abortion capital, with 33 percent of pregnancies ending in abortion — nearly twice the national rate.
The exact cut-off point at which a fetus becomes “viable” – able to survive outside the fetus – is a “gray area.” Some health professionals believe that a fetus is not viable until the 27th week of gestation, while others maintain that viability occurs as early as 21 weeks. The Reproductive Health Care Act splits the difference, erring (depending on your point of view) on the side of caution or the side of murder.
- Lesbian KS mother suing sperm donor for ‘child support’
- Liberal feminist group: ‘If our reproductive choices are denied, so are yours’
- One of Al Gore’s political stooges tells why Paul Ryan ‘likes fetuses so much’
- Touré tweets ‘get your abortions NOW in case the Republicans win’
- ShePAC video highlights Obama hypocrisy: Spread the word
- Michael Bloomberg wants hospitals to hide baby formula, force breastfeeding
- Rush Limbaugh and the left’s victimist pathology
- 6-year-old airs grievances over gender imbalance (Photos)
- The left’s not-so-faux war on women
- Sandra Fluke: Pols should be given ‘pro-woman’ litmus test prior to election
- Bristol Palin open letter asks: ‘Mr. President, when should I expect your call?’
- Bill Maher hits new low in Palin attack: Calls her “c”-word
- NOW roasts Bill Maher’s chestnuts for tasteless Palin slur
- Tracy Morgan doubles down on Palin-as-sex-object comments
- Tracy Morgan on TNT: “Sarah Palin is good masturbation material” (VIDEO)