Move over, Journal News! You’ve been “bested,” if that is the right word.
The Journal News, for those with short memories, is the newspaper that in the aftermath of Sandy Hook published a map with the addressees of all gun permit holders in counties north and northwest of New York City.
Not to be outdone, the website Gawker on Tuesday published a comprehensive list of licensed Big Apple gun owners with a gratuitous insult for good measure. The headline reads: “Here is a list of all the
a**holes handsome law-abiding citizens who own guns in New York City.” (h/t Ben Shapiro, Breitbart.com)
But writer John Cook isn’t content merely to defame people choosing to exercise a Constitutional amendment that the framers considered important enough to add to the Bill of Rights and place after the first and most fundamental right — that of free speech. He piles on thus:
Below is a 446-page list of every licensed gun owner in New York City. I obtained it from the NYPD two-and-a-half years ago via a Freedom of Information Law request. Because the NYPD is more interested in raping and/or eating ladies and spying on Muslims than it is in honoring public records law, the list contains only the names, and not the addresses, of the licensees.
Cook stops short of publishing the addresses, but not without grumbling that the NYPD should cheerfully hand this information over. (He cites a New York State Penal Code statute that says addresses of gun owners are part of the public record). Cook doesn’t delve into the possible negative repercussions of publishing this information, though you get the clear sense that any harm to gun owners that ensues from them is, by his lights, punishment deserved.
The names and addresses of women who abort fetuses are not mandated as part of the public record. Nevertheless, if they were, it’s hard to imagine Cook getting quite as exercised about seeing them in print.
- Gun maker claims BofA froze funds, said he ‘should not be selling guns online‘
- Michael Moore: ‘Calm down, white people, and put away your guns’ (Photos)
- CT town to burn violent video games as school begins again (Photos)
- Video mocking celeb anti-gun PSA goes viral
- Police chief boycotts Denny’s after officers ejected for being armed
- 6-year-old Maryland student suspended for pointing finger like gun
- SF HS student suspended over private Newtown poem
- Liberals toy with idea of profiling white males as solution to Newtown
- Newtown 7th grader seeks to rid nation of violent video games
- Parents arm 11-year-old with .22 ‘for protection at school‘
- Gun sales soar; LAPD chief wants officers to make random school checks
- In dealing with massacre, Obama lacks what it takes to be an agent of change
- Anti-gun NY Dem threatens to ’embarrass’ Obama in re guns
- One of Al Gore’s political stooges tells why Paul Ryan ‘likes fetuses so much‘
- Day after CT massacre, Brooklyn churches offer cash for guns
- Meet Michael Bloomberg, gun control champion and undercover filmmaker
- Police harass lawful gun owner, abuse caught on tape
- Breaking: Supreme Court reaffirms gun owners’ rights nationwide
- Toure tweets ‘get your abortions NOW in case the Republicans win’