What do you do if you wake up in the middle of the night and sense that there is an intruder in your house? Why, you phone 911, of course. That’s exactly what Parker County, Texas, homeowner James Gerow did over the weekend when he became aware of a prowler in his bedroom.
The bad guy, 41-year-old Christopher Lance Moore, however, also called for help. Moore phoned to report that he was trapped in his vehicle, being held at gunpoint.
The background details, courtesy of The Dallas Morning News, will help clarify the bizarre dog-bites-man escapade.
The incident, the paper reports, happened around 12:30 a.m. Gerow and his wife were both roused by sounds in the room where they slept. They surprised Moore, who made a beeline for the front door.
Once outside, he jumped behind the wheel of his GMC, which was parked in the Gerows’ driveway, but he wasn’t quick enough to make his escape. Gerow grabbed his keys from the ignition, while his stepson trained a shotgun on Moore. As an added precaution, Gerow blocked Moore’s getaway by positioning his own vehicle so that it sealed the egress.
“If he gets out of the truck, shoot him in the legs,” Moore heard Gerow tell the youth. “You ain’t gotta kill him; just shoot him in the legs.…”
Moore, seeing his options limited, pressed 9-1-1 on his phone. The exchange, possibly a first for 911, went like this, according to the Dallas CBS affiliate:
Operator: Parker County 911, where’s your emergency?
Caller: I’m not sure. I’m out in the country somewhere. Some guy’s got a gun on me.
When deputies arrived, both men were still on the phone with 911. Deputies asked Moore why he had broken into the home, to which he candidly acknowledged, “I had bad intentions.”
He was arrested and charged with burglary of a habitation, with bail set at $35,000. His criminal record includes theft and drug charges.
- World’s dumbest counterfeiter tries to pass bills with wrong picture
- Would-be do-gooders unwittingly come to aid of robbery suspect, not victim
- Subway restaurant burglar foiled by his own potato chip trail
- McDonald’s employee arrested for spitting in customer’s drink
- Brazilian trio arrested for making turnovers out of two murder victims
- Snackman: NYC’s snack-eating subway vigilante gets his 15 minutes (Video)
- Prosecutors come down hard on clerk who laced yogurt samples with semen
- SD woman breaks into home … to breastfeed a stranger’s baby
- Teens sentenced to probation after serving birthday cake ‘iced’ with human feces
- FL hooker: ‘Will [blank] for cheeseburgers’
- Elementary school teacher arrested for tying up and feeding students his semen
- Ohio prison system bans pork in response to lawsuit by Muslim death row inmate
- NH women sued by condo board for maintaining flower garden
- Olive Garden: Displaying American flag might be ‘disruptive’ to diners
- Michigan woman faces jail time for planting vegetable garden in front yard
- Woman sues dead teen whose severed body parts struck her