Apparently Barack Obama was a more formidable military leader than anyone on the Left or Right gave him credit for. It appears that North Korea is now taking a page out of his strategic handbook, which included publicly announcing troop withdrawal dates and draw-down numbers well in advance to give the enemy time to formulate its own counter-strategy.
In its effort to teach a lesson about bluster to President Donald Trump, aka “a guy bereft of reason” on whom absolute “only force can work,” the equally blusterous Norks are revealing their plan to attack Guam, as promised yesterday.
According to the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), Kim Jong Un’s generals are “seriously examining the plan for an enveloping strike at Guam through simultaneous fire of four Hwasong-12 intermediate-range strategic ballistic rockets in order to interdict the enemy forces on major military bases on Guam and to signal a crucial warning to the U.S.”
The military will report its plan to Kim “sometime in mid-August” and then await his order. The missiles would reportedly splash down within a matter of miles of Guam.
It was apparently Trump’s “fire and fury” comment that fueled this latest threat. On Tuesday, the president told the White House press pool:
North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. They will be met with the fire and fury like the world has never seen. He has been very threatening beyond a normal state, and as I said, they will be met with the fire and fury and, frankly, power the likes of which this world has never seen before.
The statement by the KCNA noted:
This unprecedented step is to give stronger confidence in certain victory and courage to the Korean people and help them witness the wretched plight of the U.S. imperialists.
Thousands of North Koreans took to the streets in Pyongyang earlier this week to protest the sanctions the UN had imposed.