A man who claimed he had been the victim of a hate crime at the University of North Dakota made up the story, investigators have concluded. Police say he should face charges for the false allegations, but prosecutors say he won’t.
Here’s the back story according to ABC affiliate WDAZ:
Back in August Haakon Gisvold claimed he was kicked out of a party during a party [sic: Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house] because he is gay. Once outside he said he was beaten, stripped and robbed while anti-gay slurs were yelled at him.
But Eric Hanson, a member of the fraternity, told authorities it went down very differently. “When I walked out of the house,” he told investigators, “basically all I saw was an altercation, someone being belligerent, not wanting to leave even though they were causing problems at the house.”
A month-long investigation followed, in which 150 potential witnesses were questioned. All gave pretty much the same account as Hanson: Gisvold was not the victim of an assault or of anti-gay slurs. Yes, there was a physical altercation, but Gisvold was the one who instigated it, police determined.
The university released a statement about the conclusion of the investigation, which states:
We will review the information and determine any next steps for the University in compliance with federal regulations as they refer to Title IX and the Code of Student Life. We continue to strive for a safe and welcoming environment for all within our campus community.
To say that a pattern of fake hate crimes against gays, blacks, Muslims, and other protected classes is emerging is a pretty extreme understatement. As an examination of headlines culled from articles over the last two years (see below) reveals, crying “Wolf” has become a cottage industry. Exploiting a cause you believe in as a vendetta cheapens it, but where are the voices on the left condemning this sort of behavior?
- Yet another ‘anti-gay’ hate crime turns out to be a big hoax
- Another campus rape hoax, but dots remain unconnected for some
- A black student, a hate crime hoax, and the lockdown of Sweet Briar College (Video)
- Hate crime hoax: ‘Spate of Quran burnings’ perpetrated by Iraqi native
- University police: Racist scribbles found on college dorm room door ruled a hoax
- Michigan: Yet another campus ‘racism’ attack turns out to be a hoax
- Another gay hoax, continued silence from the left
- Another LGBTQ hate crime turns out to be a hoax — this time with a moral
- The latest anti-gay hoax is a teachable moment: Will liberals learn from it?
- Breaking: Story about ‘homophobic RSVP mom’ was a moronic HOAX
- Is ‘bigoted’ letter to ‘Dear Abby’ latest anti-gay hoax