There’s just no pleasing some people, and Jean Camara of Brooklyn is one of them. When Camara told his supervisor at a Costco branch in the Sunset Park neighborhood of the New York City borough that his Muslim faith prohibited his working with pork, the boss obliged, changing Camara’s job. And now Camara is suing Costco for religious discrimination.
According to WABC, Camara was working as a cashier’s assistant when a package of pork chops came across the conveyor belt. When he explained the proscription in his religion against touching pork or alcohol, the store accommodated him, assigning him the task of gathering shopping carts in the parking lot. Camara told reporters the management never explained to him why he was reassigned.
Obviously seeing the change as a demotion, he proceeded to file a human rights complaint against the company, which in turn fired him for insubordinate conduct.
“Just because you have a different belief, that doesn’t give anybody the right to treat you different,” Camara told reporters. “We all share different beliefs so we all should be treated equally no matter what belief we have.”
His attorney, Chauncey Henry, made the same observation:
It’s not OK to discriminate against someone for their religion. It isn’t OK. It isn’t OK to treat them differently others because of what they believe in. I think that everyone is entitled to the same treatment. I think that’s what this case is about.
Both Camara and his lawyer are jumping to a conclusion not borne out by the facts. It wasn’t Camara’s religion that led the store to reassign him. It was, rather, an impediment stemming from his religious convictions that limited the number of jobs to which he might be reassigned.
Here’s hoping no jury can be flummoxed into falling for Camara’s fatuous complaint.
- Customer refused a moist towelette at a halal-only branch of KFC because it contains alcohol
- Non-Muslim mom claims daughter was not fed lunch she brought to daycare because it was not halal
- Muslim mother demands firing after school mistakenly serves son non-halal burger
- Pork banned from British school menu, replaced with halal meat
- Okla. convert to Islam beheads coworker who refuses to convert
- Ohio prison system bans pork in response to lawsuit by Muslim death row inmate