Move over, same-sex marriage. Make way for the same-self marriage.
The Houston Chronicle has word on the
happy curious nuptials:
A woman who vowed that if she didn’t find love by the time she turned 40 married herself earlier this month….
Yasmin Eleby married herself at the Houston Museum of African American Culture on January 3 in a lavish ceremony with 10 bridesmaids in attendance, plus family and other guests on hand to celebrate the event.
For this ceremony, Eleby’s minister sister performed the spiritual service, as it’s not legal to marry yourself. The pictures from the ceremony look normal, except that Eleby is by herself in the photos and not standing with a spouse.
According to John Guess Jr., the CEO of the complex, the event was very much in line with the forward thinking normally found at the HMAAC, which welcomes and invites people of all sexual orientations to enjoy and rent the facility.
It’s hard to know what the future holds in store for the happy single, but one has to wonder:
- If Eleby breaks up with herself, who gets to keep the china?
- If Eleby meets someone and falls in love, will she first seek a divorce from herself?
- Does she now consider her family to be her in-laws as well?
So far, there has been no reaction from the gay community, which was quite vocal last September when two males tied the knot in New Zealand. At issue in the case was the fact that both men were heterosexual. In another matrimonial curiosity, an 18-year-old woman in India married a stray dog from her village, but that was designed to lift a curse. That also occurred last September, but there has been no word on whether the teen and dog are still together.
- Muslim barber refuses to cut hair of lesbian: Whose rights trump whose?
- Girl, 18, marries a stray dog from her village in India to lift ‘curse’
- DC priest punished for calling for end to gay St. Patrick’s parade in NYC
- Another ‘gay victim’ hoax? Teen’s ‘family intervention’ not a coming out OR a beat-down
- WH wined and dined Africa’s most evil and anti-gay dictators
- Gay, white, American Indian professor sues historically black college for discrimination
- Clinton, Perry, and the obsession of America’s media with ‘gay’ issues
- Gay activists thrilled by fascist ruling against baker from Colorado commission
- Free speech not so free when discussing gay rights