Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson anticipates that no criminal charges will result from the August 9 fatal shooting of Michael Brown. Nonetheless, he’s reportedly in the midst of discussions with city officials of turning in his badge.
CBS News reported:
Jeff Roorda, business manager for the St. Louis Police Officers’ Association, said he met Thursday with Ferguson officer Darren Wilson, who has remained secluded from the public eye since the Aug. 9 shooting that sparked tense and occasionally violent protests and drew national attention.
Wilson has been under a lot of pressure and stress but appeared confident in the outcome of the grand jury investigation, Roorda said.
“It’s fair to say that neither he nor his defense team expect an indictment,” Roorda told CBS.
The union official reiterated that sentiment in a text message to the Associated Press.
“Wilson seems confident that justice will be served,” the text said, adding, “but neither he nor his attorneys shared any expectations with me.”
The 12-person St. Louis County grand jury is meeting Friday. If they come to a decision then, it isn’t expected to be announced until Sunday, according to the prosecutor’s plan to give police a 48-hour heads up.
Although Wilson has steadfastly maintained his innocence and is confident no charges will be brought, he’s reportedly considering resigning from the force.
According to CNN:
Wilson has told associates he would resign as a way to help ease pressure and protect his fellow officers. Wilson has expressed concern about resigning while the grand jury was hearing evidence for fear it would appear he was admitting fault.
Wilson could announce as soon as Friday his plans to resign, the same day a St. Louis County grand jury meets to deliberate and possibly decide on an indictment.
Watch the following report given by CNN justice correspondent Evan Perez to CNN “AC-360” host Anderson Cooper.
At least one journalist claims that Wilson is being pressured to resign by authorities. GotNews.com founder and Editor-In-Chief Charles C. Johnson tweeted Friday:
I have heard from multiple sources in St. Louis that DOJ is forcing #DarrenWilson to resign to save face & that they’ll be no indictment.
— Charles C. Johnson (@ChuckCJohnson) November 21, 2014
There have been no other details offered so far in either Johnson’s Twitter feed or by GotNews.com. However, Wilson had reportedly maintained a desire and intention to return to active duty in the past. His change of heart may well have been the result of pressure from higher-ups.