Some have called it an example of tough love and effective parenting. Others see it as child abuse. You can decide for yourself after watching the Facebook video below, which has gone viral.
In it a teen who failed to show proper respect for his teacher is forced by his mother to pace the room with a stack of books above his head as he chants, “I love school” and “I’m not going to disrespect my teacher.”
Memphis NBC affiliate WMC notes:
Many people are praising the mom’s methods, but others say it is causing emotional scars.
The mother and another person filming watch the boy as he starts crying, but they do not let him bring the books down. At one point, the person by the camera laughs.
Barbara King, executive director of Exchange Club Family Center, which is is committed to breaking the cycle of child abuse and neglect, questions whether the punishment fits the crime, adding that discipline directly connected to the infraction is always best. “Emotional abuse is more long lasting and really does more harm than physical abuse,” King is quoted as saying.
- Mother of the year: Woman caught shoplifting flees, leaves infant behind
- SI mom catches nanny on hidden camera abusing infant child
- Mom Tased daughter in the face for poor job cleaning house
- Mom has own child busted for stealing her Pop-Tarts
- 9-year-old dies after being forced to run nonstop for 3 hours as punishment
- FL woman left young kids in car while attending rap concert
- Mom forces 9-year-old to pose nude for ‘porn shots’ to send to fiancé in jail
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon (Photos)
- Parents of first-grader warned by teacher that child took part in ‘dangerous chasing game’
- Feds’ school-discipline meddling will backfire and increase ‘zero-tolerance’ excesses
- 3-year-old expelled from daycare for dropping s-bomb
- LU exclusive: School disciplines 6-year-old over drawing based on book obtained at school