The PC police have stuck again. This time, the raid was on Nomen Global Language Center, a school in Provo, Utah that teaches English as a second language, and the victim was a social media strategist named Tim Torkildson. Atypically, however, the assault on reason came from the right side of the ideological spectrum.
Atlanta CBS affiliate WOCL explains that Torkildson, who also writes a blog, foolishly published a post on homophones. Remember those? You may know them as homonyms, but either way they are words that sound alike but have a different meaning.
Clark Woodger, his superior, saw the blog entry — then saw red. He told Torkildson:
I’m letting you go because I can’t trust you. This blog about homophones was the last straw. Now our school is going to be associated with homosexuality.
Torkildson, who was stunned, tried to explain that Woodger was confusing two very different words that share a prefix, but encountered resistance. Said Woodger:
I had to look up the word because I didn’t know what the hell you were talking about. We don’t teach this kind of advanced stuff to our students, and it’s extremely inappropriate. Can you have your desk cleaned out by eleven this morning? I’ll have your check ready.
The school’s nickname, ironically, is “America’s English language school.” Here is its mission statement:
Nomen Global Language Centers substantially helps students from all cultures and walks of life to excel in each aspect of their English acquisition and to obtain their goals for the future.
Woodger is now claiming that his decision to fire Torkildson had nothing to do with homosexuality. Rather, he maintains, it was over concerns that the social media strategist would “go off on tangents” on his blog in ways that were confusing and offensive.
Suffice it to c’est that if ewe believe that, eye have a bridge to cell ewe.
- If black people said the stuff white people say
- Science media have been invaded by political correctness
- Political correctness and the destructive Redskins name game
- Bar on political correctness raised to new ridiculous high by reaction to Japanese ad
- Dem assemblyman dressed in confederate uniform confronted by black GOP delegate (Video)
- Spike Lee gets schooled by relatives, black op-ed writer over dopey rant
- If asparagus is dried out, the store must be racist
- Political correctness gone mad: Soldiers told they can’t say ‘Christmas’
- Put the ‘Straight White Guy Festival’ on your calendar for September
- Bacon tossing will now get you jail time