Is that a cheese sandwich in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
CBC Ottawa reports that a two-year-old was issued a three-day suspension from daycare after she showed up with a cheese sandwich in her pocket.
The girl’s father, Randy Murray, explained that he gave each of his two children a cheese sandwich to eat in the car on the way to daycare after running late and leaving himself too little time to fix breakfast at home. Little did he know that his daughter Faith elected not to eat the sandwich in transit, instead slipping into her pocket for later consumption.
But as Murray was escorting the kids into Centre de l’Enfant aux 4 Vente daycare, a staff member espied the contraband and confiscated it in keeping with the policy that forbids outside food from being brought onto the premises.
But denying Faith breakfast was just the beginning. Murray was told that his daughter was on suspension for three days.
Deb Ducharme, director of the daycare, defends the policy, which states that (a) if outside food not containing peanuts is taken into the facility, the child automatically receives a mandatory three-day suspension, and (b) if the food does contains peanuts, the child is permanently expelled. (It’s easy to imagine an option “c,” where the child feeds food containing peanuts to another child, in which case she is executed on the spot.)
All kidding aside, the concern over peanuts has merit, though the “correction” for it seems a little extreme. But an automatic three-day timeout for bringing any food into the facility?
“We need to ensure their well-being and safety,” Ducharme argues. “Most parents are comfortable with our rules because it creates a safe environment for their children.”
And what does Murray say? He says he’s “speechless,” adding:
I wish they had handled it differently. They freaked out. If I got a warning, I’d admit my mistake and move on. But it seems they want to penalize the parents. There’s no logic to it. I’m going to the media because I think people have to speak up when something’s fishy.
Murray says he’s planning to send Faith and her brother Michael to a different daycare facility.
- Daycare worker admits to murdering 3-year-old because she ‘refused to take her coat off’
- Infant raped at daycare center
- Preschool teacher arrested after spiking toddlers’ juice with sleeping pills
- Teacher records herself, principal bullying autistic child while class laughs
- Death by Nehi: Parents forced 5-year-old daughter to drink so much soda she ODed
- Amber alert for missing toddler and infant brother ends in tragic murder-suicide at hands of grandma
- SI mom catches nanny on hidden camera abusing infant child
- Mother of the year: Woman caught shoplifting flees, leaves infant behind
- Mother jailed for up to 30 years for burning off teen son’s penis and nipples with lighter
- Family charged in starving death grandmother who weighed 59 pounds when discovered by police
- FB bans group of mothers sharing photos of other people’s ‘ugly’ and ‘disabled’ children
- Mother of ‘victim’ now prime suspect in racist graffiti investigation
- Police arrest 14-year-old, 3 others after violent brawl at baby shower
- 13-year-old girl shot by classmate on school bus dies of injuries