When New York’s finest busted a teen for shoplifting lingerie on Thursday, they discovered something totally unexpected in her shopping bag. Instead of sexy underwear, they found the remains of a stillborn human fetus.
The New York Post reports that the mother, 17-year-old Tiona Rodriguez of Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, told police that she had had the baby yesterday and didn’t know what to do with it.
A security guard at a Victoria’s Secret in Herald Square nabbed Rodriguez and an unidentified accomplice looting lingerie from the racks at around 1:30 p.m. Police were summoned. When they arrived they noticed a strong odor emanating from one of the bags.
The fetus, which appeared to be in its sixth month of development, was taken to the medical examiner’s office for an autopsy. Rodriguez was taken to Bellevue Hospital for a psychiatric evaluation. Her companion was taken to the precinct house for questioning.
Charges against the pair were pending as of late Thursday.
Mind-numbing stories have appeared in this space about women using their infant children as human shields or forcing their offspring to pose nude for porn shots. But this tale sets the bar on depravity to a new low. The specter of unwanted teen pregnancy is grotesque enough. But when women of any age begin carting their miscarried fetuses around with them like so much garbage — while they take part in crime, moreover — society has failed us all in a big way.
- Mother of the year: Woman caught shoplifting flees, leaves infant behind
- Mother fleeing crime scene uses own infant as human shield
- Mom Tased daughter in the face for poor job cleaning house
- FL woman left young kids in car while attending rap concert
- Mom forces 9-year-old to pose nude for ‘porn shots’ to send to fiancé in jail
- Staten Island parents charged with attempting to abandon child at police station
- Abandoned children found running naked through Jersey City streets
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon (Photos)
- Dangerous new teen trend: Getting drunk on hand sanitizer
- Olive Garden mistakenly serves booze to a child—again
- Prosecutor blames mother for starvation death of Brooklyn 4-year-old
- Father arrested, strip-searched after 4-year-old draws ‘man with gun’
- NYC mom sues city for $900 trillion for taking custody of her children
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- UK Teens given birth control without parental consent
- Four-year-old brings marijuana to school, offers to share with classmates
- School accuses 6-year-old of sexual assault during schoolyard game of tag
- NJ boy suspended from school because Muslim girl overheard him say “Taliban”
- Parents lose custody of son they named Adolf Hitler, two other children