For most cell phone users, “pocket dialing” — activating one of the phone’s pre-programmed hot keys with your gluteus maximus — is more of a nuisance than anything else. But for a couple of druggies/car thieves in California, an unintended seat-of-the-pants phone call was a one-way ticket to the slammer.
Fox News Insider notes that Nathan Teklemariam and Carson Rinehart, both 20, were busted on Friday by Fresno police after a 911 dispatcher received an unusual call that consisted entirely of background conversation.
It didn’t take the dispatcher long to realize that the callers weren’t so much in danger as they were up to no good, so he continued to listen in. In a recording obtained by KGPE.com, one of the suspects can be heard saying, “I just want to smoke weed so bad right now.” This is followed soon after by the sound of breaking glass. Then comes the declaration “They’re narcos yee-ah,” meaning the pair had scored prescription drugs.
Ultimately, the dispatcher was able to get a fix on the pair’s location and sent out a patrol car. But he continued to monitor the call, which netted this gem:
- Suspect 1: He’s following the [expletive] out of you, bro.
- Suspect 2: Wow, what the [expletive] did I do?
The men face charges of breaking and entering, possession of stolen property, and conspiracy.
In case you’re wondering whether this is a first in the annals of police work, it’s not — by a long shot. ABC News reported in April 2012 that a car thief in Washington state butt-dialed 911 while staging a break-in not once, not twice, but on four separate occasions.
- NYC gets over 4 million false 911 calls … made by cell phone users’ butts
- Man arrested for ‘soliciting prostitute’ … on honeymoon
- To help her ‘kick the habit,’ woman assaults cop so she will be taken to jail
- CA woman arrested for sneaking alcohol-laced juice bottles into Starbucks
- Cop fired for drunk driving sues city, saying alcoholism is a ‘disability’
- SC woman ran up $400K tab using EMS ambulance as private chauffeur
- 911 caller asks police to help her get refund from drug dealer