The jobs picture, which was bleak for 2012 college graduates, is looking even bleaker for this year’s graduating class. According to a survey by the consulting firm Accenture, 41% of recent grads who managed to find work hold down dead-end jobs that don’t require a degree.
So what are the nation’s leading universities doing to ensure its alumni have bright futures? Nothing really, though one of them, Duke, is making the present even more difficult for the vast majority of its matriculates in order to accommodate the needs of a few. Campus Reform reports that the prestigious school is raising its fees across the board to pay for student sex reassignment surgery:
The private university, located in North Carolina, follows Brown and other universities in offering coverage for the controversial operation.
Administrators say they will cover the cost of the reassignment surgery up to $50,000 that will be covered with a cause a 0.3 percent increase to overall student fees.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: No Child Left Behind
Three tenths of a percent isn’t that much for students who are already paying an estimated $58,865 to attend. The upcharge works out to a mere $177 per academic year. But then again, why should any of that cost be passed along to students who have no use or need for the service? Lambda Legal, a gay rights advocacy group, estimates that 5 to 6 percent of students nationwide are LGBT. Extrapolating that number to Duke, which has an undergraduate enrollment of 6,680, some 400 students are L, G, B, or T. The subset of those students who believe they were born into the wrong body is not publicly stated but is almost certainly smaller.
Duke, Campus Reform notes, is now one of 37 universities nationwide that cover sex-change operations. Emory University is the only other college in the Southeast, besides Duke, to offer sexual reassignment surgery to students.
- University displays billboard-sized naked vaginas in pro-abortion exhibit
- Taxpayer-funded anti-bullying workshop targets ‘Big Bad Right Wing’
- Study: Children taught tolerance in school more likely to be intolerant outside
- Native Americans offended by billboards, Catholics by naked female pope
- Students angry over school hiring ‘Hitler loving,’ Jew-hating teacher
- College hosts sex and masturbation tutorial in a church
- University to sponsor workshop on better orgasms for co-eds (Photos)
- University of Minnesota sponsors ‘unfair to be white’ campaign (Photos)
- DOJ upholds transgendered man’s lawsuit over right to use female restrooms
- College orders construction crew to remove sexist ‘men working’ sign
- The vagina monolith: Suggestive sculpture under wraps at Wasilla High School
- NY school district apologizes for asking students to ‘argue Jews are evil’