The New York-based retail giant Macy’s is famous for its one-day sales, where prices are slashed, but this is ridiculous. Dallas ABC affiliated WFAA reports that the retailer sent out a catalog to customers earlier this month advertising a $1,500 sterling silver and 14-karat gold necklace as a “SUPER BUY.” Just how super was it? The sale price — $47 — represents a savings of 97 percent.
The actual sale price was supposed to read “$479,” but the chain’s advertising department omitted the “9.” The report notes that a number of customers rushed to take advantage of the error before the store noticed it.
One who just missed out was a man named Robert Bernard, a customer at a Macy’s store in the Dallas area. When the person in front of him bought the last necklace in stock, the clerk arranged to have one shipped to Bernard. But the jewelry never arrived. Instead, he received a voice mail alerting him of the pricing mistake and notifying him that his order had been canceled.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Pork-astucture
Signage to that effect went up in the fine jewelry department and on store doors as well, says Beth Charlton, a Macy’s spokeswoman, who added, “For those customers who bought the necklace at the $47 price, they were fortunate.
Macy’s is not revealing how many necklaces they essentially gave away. Rumor has it, however, that the chain is looking for a new copy editor.
- Car buyer performs oral sex on seller to lower sale price
- Escort who tried to bite off man’s penis charged with attempted murder
- Corrections officer busted for trading cookies for sexual favors
- Man erroneously kept on ‘Most Wanted’ list for months sues cops, city
- Thief steals Chinese food delivery car, continues making deliveries
- NY mom passes drugs to jailed son through kisses
- World’s dumbest counterfeiter tries to pass bills with wrong picture
- Subway restaurant burglar foiled by his own potato chip trail
- McDonald’s employee arrested for spitting in customer’s drink
- Snackman: NYC’s snack-eating subway vigilante gets his 15 minutes (Video)
- Prosecutors come down hard on clerk who laced yogurt samples with semen
- SD woman breaks into home … to breastfeed a stranger’s baby
- Teens sentenced to probation after serving birthday cake ‘iced’ with human feces
- FL hooker: ‘Will [blank] for cheeseburgers’
- NH women sued by condo board for maintaining flower garden
- Olive Garden: Displaying American flag might be ‘disruptive’ to diners
- Michigan woman faces jail time for planting vegetable garden in front yard