A California preschool teacher who took nap time a little too seriously was arrested last week for doping her young charges with sleeping pills.
ABC News reports that on March 8, Debbie Grotz of the Kiddie Academy in Morgan Hill, Calif., was spotted by a colleague adding an unknown substance to the drink cups of children as young as one. There were ten children in Grotz’s care.
When confronted by the administration, the 59-year-old Grotz admitted that she had been lacing the juice with Sominex, an over-the-counter sleeping aid. Grotz was fired and police were notified, but not until the following Monday.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Three Stooges
Sgt. Troy Hoefling of Morgan Hill Investigations Unit told reporters, “We do not know the quantity, but we believe she was breaking the pill into smaller pieces and putting it into the children’s Sippy cups.” Hoefling expressed concern over the school’s delay in contacting the police, adding that administrators may have inadvertently destroyed evidence by washing the cups.
In a statement, the Kiddie Academy said:
Ms. Gratz was witnessed adding a substance to the water cups for her classroom of 10 children. The cups were confiscated before they came in contact with any children prior to the academy opening for business that day.
Gratz was charged with two counts of child endangerment and released. She is scheduled to appear in court in late March.
- Video: 9-year-old assaults toddlers in daycare; angry parent inflames situation
- Daycare workers arrested for urging toddlers to fight one another
- Bronx 4-year-old boy out past bedtime killed by stray bullet
- New low: Muggers steal a gold chain from 3-year-old in stroller
- Parents in need of parents: Angry mothers brawl at pre-school graduation
- 8-year-old slashes fellow school student with blade in schoolyard fight
- Middle school student suspended for wiping hands on Old Glory
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon
- Teacher tells 7-year-old she’s ‘too sexy’ for gym class
- Shock video of disabled teen being tortured by ‘teachers’ shown at trial
- School up in arms over student’s mural depicting ‘nuclear family’
- Special needs student dies after teacher makes him wear ‘homemade’ neck brace
- Father arrested, strip-searched after 4-year-old draws ‘man with gun’
- Sixth NYC school staff member in 2 months arrested for groping students
- School claims 7-year-old is racist for asking classmate about skin color
- School accuses 6-year-old of sexual assault during schoolyard game of tag
- NJ boy suspended from school because Muslim girl overheard him say “Taliban”