It didn’t take long for the NRA’s Wayne LaPierre to respond to President Obama’s radical pronouncement on Wednesday outlining his plan to abridge gun owners’ Second Amendment rights. Ditto for the states, several of which have already drafted legislation to block the ban on assault weapons and high capacity magazines.
An news release received from the Tenth Amendment Center notes that Texas and five other states are already at work on such laws.
Texas Rep. John Otto (R-Dayton) announced the filing of HB553 on Wednesday morning. The bill would make it a misdemeanor for any state or federal official to “enforce or attempt to enforce any acts, laws, executive orders, agency orders, rules or regulations of any kind whatsoever of the United States government relating to confiscating any firearm, banning any firearm, limiting the size of a magazine for any firearm, imposing any limit on the ammunition that may be purchased for any firearm, taxing any firearm or ammunition therefore, or requiring the registration of any firearm or ammunition therefore.”
On Tuesday, Missouri Rep. Casey Guernsey introduced a similar bill that affirms the state’s authority to regulate firearms made and owned exclusively within its borders and makes it a felony for any federal agent to attempt to enforce a federal regulation on such weapons. The bill goes a step further, stating:
Any federal law, rule, regulation, or order created or effective on or after January 1, 2013 shall be unenforceable in the state of Missouri if the law, rule, regulation, or order attempts to:
(1) Ban or restrict ownership of a semi-automatic firearm or any magazine of a firearm; or
(2) Require any firearm, magazine, or other firearm accessory to be registered in any manner.
Wyoming, Tennessee, South Dakota and South Carolina also have similar bills pending before their legislatures. Sources close to the Tenth Amendment Center indicate as many as a dozen more states could follow suit in the coming weeks.
- Obama raises hypocrisy bar with 23 executive orders in one fell swoop (Photos)
- Obama threatens another power grab after Senate defeats cybersecurity bill
- Obama’s latest power grab: Rewriting welfare reform law
- Obama’s autocratic dream (Video)
- Obama’s latest executive order: to create ‘Office of Diversity and Inclusion’
- Obama sidesteps his own executive order banning taxpayer-funded abortions
- Whoops: WH paid female staffers 13% less than males in 2012
- ShePAC video highlights Obama hypocrisy: Spread the word
- Obama’s defense of super PAC reversal: The ends justify the means
- Hypocrisy alert: Obama used tax loopholes in 2011 to lower his tax bill