Let this be a lesson to good Samaritans everywhere. Attempt to help out your employer by chasing a shoplifter into the store’s parking lot, reacting deftly and courageously when the man pulls a knife on you, and you too may face termination as your reward.
Dallas-Fort Worth Fox affiliate KDFW has the incredible details, including cell phone video of the confrontation shot by a shopper.
The situation could not be more black and white. The assistant manager, who is not identified in the report, had 13 years of experience in the area of loss prevention. Claude Medlock, 51, the man he accosted in the parking lot of the Kroger store where he worked, had a lengthy criminal history that includes theft and robbery convictions. In the video, the manager can be seen wresting the knife away from Medlock and ultimately throwing him to the ground.
Arlington police told reporters they didn’t consider the manger’s actions criminal. The grocery chain, however, had a different take. In a statement released last Friday, the day after the altercation, Kroger said:
The incident is … not a reflection of our company’s fraud prevention protocol, procedures or training… [The manager] is no longer employed by our company.
Medlock, meanwhile, has been charged with aggravated robbery and is in police custody. When he is eventually back pm the street and planning his next robbery, he should Kroger in mind. It is now public knowledge, after all, that the chain frowns on its employees confronting bad guys.
- Good Samaritan nabs cretin who punched 8-year-old in face and stole his iPad
- Good Samaritan shot dead after opening door to man who said he was being chased
- Good Samaritan pizza shop delivers medicines during cold snap
- Family of black teen who attempted armed robbery irate that a Good Samaritan shot him (Video)
- Families of armed robbers shot to death by concerned citizen demand justice (Video)
- Following latest attack, NYC police commish wonders aloud if ‘Knockout’ is urban legend
- Bored’ teen kills kittens with bow and arrow, posts gruesome photos on Facebook
- Detroit driver clings to life, beaten by mob after accidentally running down 10-year-old
- The Oklahoma shooters: The real story
- Black Oklahoma teens shoot white man to death ‘just for fun’
- White teen savagely beaten on FL school bus by purple people eaters
- Will senseless near-deadly beating of white St. Paul man by black gang trigger Jesse Jackson’s moral outrage?