We’ve all heard lots about the Common Core educational standards as they pertain to social studies (“If you ask to speak with the manager of an institution such as a bank, a retail store, or another place of business, how likely is it that you will meet someone of your ethnic background or gender?”), civics (“The wants of an individual are less important than the well-being of the nation”), and reading (“Before dawn each morning, Barry [as in Obama] rose – his mother’s voice driving him from dream land. ‘Time for learning English grammar and the Golden Rule. Be honest, be kind, be fair,’ she taught him.”)
But there has been precious little about the all-important subject area of math. Until now. The problem below was first reported by Twitchy and has since been cited by the Daily Caller, which maintains it is “the worst math question in human history.”
The problem comes from a Houghton Mifflin Assessment Guide. It appears among a larger set of basically similar math problems here. The problem involving Juanita appears on page AG102, nestled among some other problems that are similarly weak and crappy — though not nearly as harrrowing [sic] as the problem above.
The DC authors go on to note that Houghton Mifflin is part of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt educational publishing cartel, providing a link to the company website, which advises that the Common Core State Standards represent “a fresh opportunity for students, teachers, leaders, and parents.”
So … were you able to solve the problem? Twitchy applauds the problem because it has no wrong answers, which means no one’s feelings get hurt, which after all is the most important takeaway from modern education.
- More strange and invasive questions asked in the name of Common Core
- The problem with Common Core’s lesson plan on the Gettysburg Address
- Common Core-approved book for 3rd graders presents messianic view of Obama … literally
- Schools asking parents, students to declare political affiliation
- College reprimands black professor for racial harassment of white students
- A rebuttal of a conservative critique of Common-Core Standards
- MA halts Common Core implementation
- Obama administration slams ‘white suburban moms’ over Common Core
- New Obama bio required for 4th-graders has some (racist) parents upset
- School district apologizes for indoctrination video pledging allegiance to Obama
- Boston school recites Muslim poem instead of Pledge of Allegiance on anniversary of 9/11
- HS principal orders students to forgo Pledge of Allegiance, citing shutdown
- One nation under Obama?
- Common Core lessons blasted for sneaking politics into elementary classrooms
- Common Core: ‘Educating’ 4th-graders about ‘white privilege’
- Common Core’s latest: Teach 2nd-graders to salute Big Labor and Cesar Chavez