Developers of doomed Fla. tower once accused of paying off officials: report

Developers of doomed Fla. tower once accused of paying off officials: report
Image: YouTube screen grab

[Ed. – Outrage]

The developers of the Miami condo tower that collapsed were once accused of paying off local officials to get permits for the site — which needed $15 million in repairs just to bring it to code, a new report says.

Building rivals claimed that the partners behind Surfside Champlain Towers South were receiving preferential treatment when it came to getting through the permit system as the site was being built in 1981, the Washington Post said.

Surfside’s developers had contributed to the campaigns of at least two town council members, then demanded that the donations be returned when the allegations surfaced, according to the outlet.

Trending: The key supporting effort appears to be underway on Trump’s operational timeline

Meanwhile, the 12-story tower had been on the verge of undergoing $15 million in renovations to pass a required 40-year certification when it collapsed Thursday, killing at least nine people and leaving more than 150 unaccounted for, the report added.

Continue reading →

Comments

For your convenience, you may leave commments below using Disqus. If Disqus is not appearing for you, please disable AdBlock to leave a comment.