[Ed. – This is big, and there’s more to come on it. Engaged readers will know this is a big burble from the “swamp,” and probably a sign of things to come. The initial sentencing recommendation for Stone (7-9 years) was, of course, absurdly harsh and well outside sentencing guidelines for the offenses. The Examiner headline says “three prosecutors” because three of them were on Mueller’s team. The fourth was assigned afterward from the DOJ District of Columbia attorney’s office. Note: I assume Trump inserted himself into this by tweeting about it in order to distract the media and get them to take their eyes off the play he and Barr are really running. (And yes, I’ve seen the analysis at Conservative Treehouse. As I said, more to come. 🙂 – J.E.]
All four prosecutors in the Roger Stone case withdrew from their roles after the Justice Department reversed course in seeking a lengthy prison sentence for the Republican operative. …
Prosecutors on Monday filed a motion recommending that Stone, who was found guilty of witness tampering and lying to Congress, be sentenced to seven to nine years in prison. That recommendation was met with criticism from Trump, who called the situation “horrible and very unfair” early Tuesday morning.
Hours later, the Justice Department rebuked the career prosecutors behind the recommendation and in a subsequent filing suggested scaling back the sentencing request to three to four years in prison would be more appropriate.
Timothy Shea, the interim U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia who took over as lead counsel from U.S. Attorney Jessie Liu a couple weeks ago, so far remains on the case, even after signing off on the tougher sentencing recommendation for Stone on Monday.