[Ed. – The show must go on.]
Chicago police are hoping to speak with Jussie Smollett again, after the investigation into the alleged attack against the Empire actor shifted over the weekend.
Police said they have reached out to Smollett’s attorney to request a follow-up interview, after detectives questioned two brothers last week. The two men went from persons of interest to potential suspects to being released without charges.
Sources said the brothers are now cooperating with police.
Smollett has said two men attacked him while he was walking home around 2 a.m. on Jan. 29. He claimed they yelled racial and homophobic slurs at him, beat him, poured a chemical on him, and put a rope around his neck.
Sources told CBS 2 News that Smollett paid the two men $3,500 to stage the attack in Streeterville. The brothers, seen on surveillance video near the scene of the alleged attack, told investigators Smollett directed them to buy the rope used in the incident, and paid for the purchase at Crafty Beaver Hardware Store in Ravenswood days before the incident.
All three men rehearsed their plan just days before everything played out.