[Ed. – She now has a case of bug-eye worse than Adam Schiff’s.]
A woman has suffered chemical injuries after she was mistakenly prescribed erectile dysfunction cream for a dry eye condition.
The woman, from Glasgow, had to be treated at A&E after she was given Vitaros cream instead of the eye lubricant VitA-POS.
Her experience is detailed in December’s BMJ Case Reports journal.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Minnesota fireworks
The report calls for doctors to use block capitals in handwritten prescriptions to avoid errors.
The woman was given a handwritten prescription for VitA-POS, a liquid paraffin lubrication, for treatment of severe dry eyes and corneal erosions.
The mix-up happened between her GP and pharmacist, where she was issued with Vitaros, an erectile dysfunction cream.
After using it she suffered eye pain, blurred vision, redness and swollen eyelid.
The mild chemical injury to her eye was treated in hospital with topical antibiotics, steroids and lubricants, which cleared it up in a few days.