[Ed. – Tragedies come in pairs.]
A Sunday morning crash involving an Amtrak passenger train and a freight train in Cayce, South Carolina, killed at least two people and injured more than 100.
Here are the major developments of the morning.
- There were eight crew members and approximately 139 passengers on board. Anyone seeking info about passengers on Train 91 should call the Amtrak info line at 1-800-523-9101.
- The two people who were killed were Amtrak employees, according to SC Gov. Henry McMaster.
- The crash between the Amtrak train and a CSX freight train occurred near Charleston Highway and Pine Ridge Road around 2:35 a.m. Sunday. The lead engine and a few passenger cars derailed.
- The Amtrak train appeared to be on the wrong track, according to SC Gov. Henry McMaster, when it collided with a freight train that was stationary and on a loading track.
- All the passengers have been removed from Amtrak 91, which was operating from New York to Miami.