Newsweek tweets, then deletes, photo of Martin Luther King Jr. in open casket

Newsweek tweets, then deletes, photo of Martin Luther King Jr. in open casket

[Ed. – Not fake but tasteless and offensive]

Newsweek tweeted, then quickly deleted an image of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in an open casket Monday with a link to an article about notable historical anniversaries in 2018.

King’s daughter, Bernice King, was among the scores of twitter users who were outraged by its use of the image.

“Why, @Newsweek? Wow,” she wrote, referring to the since deleted post.

Trending: Illegal befriends family, makes copy of their house key, sneaks in and rapes their 6-year-old — twice

Newsweek removed the tweet and issued an apology to the King family.

“Earlier this afternoon we published an opinion piece with an insensitive image of Martin Luther King Jr. We sincerely apologize to the King family for this egregious error,” the news outlet said on Twitter.

Bernice King went live on social media Monday afternoon to discuss the incident.

“Today I saw where Newsweek published this insensitive image of my father,” she said.

She urged the media to consider King’s family before sharing images of the civil rights activist, particularly in anticipation of the 50th anniversary of the leader’s assassination.

For your convenience, you may leave commments below using either the Spot.IM commenting system or the Facebook commenting system. If Spot.IM is not appearing for you, please disable AdBlock to leave a comment.


Commenting Policy

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please hover over that comment, click the ∨ icon, and mark it as spam. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.