Between jeremiads decrying “fake news,” the mainstream media has created and advanced the biggest fake news story of 2016: That the presidential election was hacked.
- “Obama Strikes Back at Russia for Election Hacking” New York Times
- “Obama administration unveils retribution for Russia over election hacking allegations” CNBC
- “U.S. Slaps Sanctions On Russia For Election Hacking, Expels 35 Diplomats” CBS
- “Obama sanctions Russian officials over election hacking” USA Today
- “U.S. Sanctions Russia Over Election Hacking; Russia Threatens to Retaliate” Wall Street Journal
Despite the histrionic claims of the press, the election was not hacked. The Democratic National Committee’s lousy IT security allowed someone to access their emails which were then leaked. Clinton’s campaign manager John Podesta fell for an age-old phishing scam that was as believable as getting millions of dollars from a Nigerian prince. Using the spotty media understanding of cybersecurity, they can claim that the DNC and Hillary’s campaign were “hacked,” but the election decisively was not. And the press knows it.