[Ed. – This is unquestionably harassment by the federal government. If the feds had a JUST case to bring, they would have simply brought it in a timely manner two years ago. Nothing has changed since then. They waited instead to bring charges when there was less popular support being actively shown for the Bundys. It’s even likely that the Bundys and the others indicted for Bunkerville-related charges will be acquitted — but the point for the feds is not to convict them. It’s to eat up their resources, make it impossible for them to earn a living, and force them off their land.]
With a crowd of emotional supporters looking on, two of Cliven Bundy’s sons and three other defendants refused to enter pleas Friday to federal charges stemming from the 2014 armed standoff with law enforcement near the Bundy family ranch at Bunkerville.
U.S. Magistrate Judge George Foley Jr. entered not guilty pleas on their behalf to an array of felony counts for all five defendants, including brothers Ammon Bundy, 40, and Ryan Bundy, 43.
The Bundys and defendants Ryan Payne, 32, Brian Cavalier, 44, and Blaine Cooper, 36, had been transported by U.S. marshals to Las Vegas from Portland, Ore., where they also face federal charges in the 41-day armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in eastern Oregon earlier this year. …
Ammon Bundy, the alleged leader of the Oregon takeover, told Foley in court that he has been mistreated by jailers since arriving in Las Vegas earlier in the week, including not being fed and being handcuffed for 23 hours in one stretch.
“I don’t see how we are being treated as innocent in any way,” he said.