The University of California Los Angeles warned Wednesday that 179 patients had been exposed to a potentially deadly “superbug” via contaminated medical instruments and could be responsible for two deaths.
The patients at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center were exposed to Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), an antibiotic-resistant and carbapenem-resistant bug, between the months of October and January, the university acknowledged in a statement as reported by Fox News.
The patients will receive home-testing kits, which are to be returned to UCLA for analysis.
CRE is difficult to treat because antibiotics don’t generally work on it. A seriously infected patient has a roughly 50 percent change of dying, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
CRE causes infections in the bladder or lungs and usually results in coughing, chills, or fever. It’s not the first time there has been a CRE outbreak, as it has been reported in every state except for Maine, Alaska, and Idaho.