A former school bus driver accused of kidnapping three young women and raping them during a decade of captivity in his house was ordered held on $8 million bond on Thursday.
In Cleveland Municipal Court, the accused man Ariel Castro appeared expressionless, his head bowed and his hands in cuffs before Judge Lauren Moore, who set his bond at $2 million for each of the three women and a child who was born in captivity.
It was the first time the dark-haired, balding Castro, 52, has been seen in public since his arrest on Monday following the women’s escape from his house in a low-income neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio.
Castro had been formally charged on Wednesday with four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape.
His court-appointed lawyer, Kathleen DeMetz, said after Thursday’s initial court appearance that Castro would need $800,000 cash to get out of jail.
“The man doesn’t have any money,” she said. “He clearly doesn’t have that.”
In court, she said he was unemployed. Castro was fired from his job driving school buses last November.