Student’s iPhone explodes in back pocket, catches fire during class

Student’s iPhone explodes in back pocket, catches fire during class

It was a scary scenario for Darin Hlavaty, a student at Rowan College at Burlington County, after he says his iPhone 6 Plus exploded in his back pocket, burning a hole in his jeans.

“I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg,” said Hlavaty.

Hlavaty had just been reaching for a pen in his 9:30 a.m. physical science class.

“Right as class was starting, my phone started smoking in my pocket. It was a fire,” said Hlavaty.

“Out of nowhere, we heard a fizzing and a popping sound. Suddenly a great mass of smoke comes out from his pocket,” said Rebecca Bookbinder, student.

Classmate Rebecca Bookbinder had been sitting nearby.

“Everyone was kind of like, ‘What is that? What is that? And then we all realized that’s his phone that combusted in the middle of class,” said Bookbinder.

“It was super hot so I flinched, grabbed it, threw it on the ground. Had to kick it because it was on fire,” said Hlavaty.

Continue reading →


Commenting Policy

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.

You may use HTML in your comments. Feel free to review the full list of allowed HTML here.