UK teen dies from using too much deodorant

UK teen dies from using too much deodorant
(Image via Yahoo!)

[Ed. – Blecch.]

A teenager who used cans of deodorant rather than showering died from inhaling fumes from the aerosol cans.

Thomas Townsend, 16, had been in foster care for five years before moving to a children’s home in Kent, England, in February. Although he was not living with his mother, Sally, she was aware of Thomas’s aversion to bathing, and knew that he would spray deodorant on himself, and followed it with aftershave to cover up body odor.

“He would go through a can a week,” she told investigators, according to the Sun. “I didn’t know he had so many cans in his room, but he was a big hoarder.” The local police in Kent found 42 aerosol cans in the troubled teen’s room.

Thomas was found collapsed against his bed, and paramedics weren’t able to revive him. The incident occurred last August, but the inquest into his cause of death concluded on Jan. 7, according to the Sun, and it was ruled an accident.

The investigating pathologists, who found no drugs or alcohol in Thomas’s system, ruled the cause of death “circulation collapse caused by butane gas inhalation,” according to Fox32 News.

Continue reading →


Commenting Policy

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.

You may use HTML in your comments. Feel free to review the full list of allowed HTML here.