NJ Applebee’s not liable for burns to man who prayed over fajita skillet

NJ Applebee’s not liable for burns to man who prayed over fajita skillet

[Ed. – They’ve got some weird, um, stuff going on there in Jersey.]

A New Jersey man cannot collect damages for burns he suffered while bowing his head in prayer over a sizzling steak fajita skillet at Applebee’s, a state appeals panel ruled today.

In March 2010, Hiram Jimenez visited the restaurant in Burlington County with his brother, Rafael, and ordered a steak fajita, which was brought to him in a sizzling skillet, according to court records. The waitress allegedly did not warn him the dish was hot.

After receiving the food, Jimenez and his brother decided to pray, and Jimenez bowed his head close to the table. As he was praying, he claimed he heard a loud sizzling noise followed by a grease pop, and felt a burning sensation in his left eye and on his face.

Jimenez said he panicked and knocked the plate of food on his lap, causing more burns. None of the burns left any scarring, records show. He sued in state Superior Court, claiming he suffered serious injury after the restaurant negligently gave him hot food.

Continue reading →


Commenting Policy

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.

You may use HTML in your comments. Feel free to review the full list of allowed HTML here.