If something positive needs to be said about the otherwise-disgraceful behavior of an unnamed employee of a Chipotle Mexican Grill in Brooklyn, it is that he didn’t fire a weapon at police officers. The unidentified worker did make the idiotic “hands up, don’t shoot” gesture when members of New York’s Finest entered the restaurant to eat.
According to Inquistr (which to its discredit downplays the magnitude of the slight), the police weren’t denied service, as initially reported. Instead, they chose to take their business elsewhere — as their supporters in the civilian population are now encouraged to do.
A representative of Chipotle responded to word of the incident — which evidently occurred two weeks ago but is only now going viral — on the company’s Facebook page, writing:
[W]e work hard to be sure that all of our customers feel welcome in our restaurants and apologize if the actions of any of our employees suggested otherwise. When this happened roughly two weeks ago, we investigated and have taken appropriate measures to be sure this doesn’t happen again.
We do want you to know, however, that we did not refuse service to anyone, nor did our staff conspire to make a gesture. It appears that any activity that took place was undertaken by a single employee, spontaneously. I hope that helps.
It doesn’t. If the company really wants to make amends, then the cretin who made the gesture should be ferreted out and terminated. Political statements do not belong in the workplace, especially from people too ignorant to take stock of that fact that the police they treat so discourteously will come running the second they need help.
- LAPD on alert after gunmen fire on patrol car (Video)
- Forensics support Ferguson cop; protesters threaten nationwide violence (Video)
- Picture of the Day: Black lawmakers make ‘hands up, don’t shoot’ gesture on House floor
- Ferguson cop placed on unpaid leave after calling Michael Brown memorial ‘pile of trash’
- Picture of the Day: ‘You turned your back on us first’
- BREAKING: Two NYPD officers shot dead in ‘ambush’ by gunman who posted about ‘revenge’ killing
- Society of Professional Journalists’ code of silence on race-based crime
- MSM article on manhunt for subway killer omits race of assailant (Video)