Strike in Sierra Leone halts burial of Ebola dead

Strike in Sierra Leone halts burial of Ebola dead

[Ed. – Timing is everything.]

Burial teams in Sierra Leone abandoned the bodies of Ebola victims in the capital after going on strike this week, though an official claimed Wednesday the situation had been resolved.

The Sierra Leone Broadcasting Corporation reported that bodies of Ebola victims were being left in homes and on the streets of Freetown because of the strike by burial teams, who complained they had not been paid. The bodies of Ebola victims are highly contagious.

Speaking on a radio breakfast program Wednesday, deputy health minister Madina Rahman said the strike had been resolved, though organizers could not immediately be reached to confirm it was over.

Rahman said the dispute centered on a one-week backlog for hazard pay that had been deposited in the bank but was not given to burial teams on time.

“The health ministry is going to investigate the delay,” Rahman said.

Continue reading →

 

 


Commenting Policy

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.

You may use HTML in your comments. Feel free to review the full list of allowed HTML here.